My comfort food is definitely youshoku (洋食), Japanese-style western food (NY Times article), dishes such as:
- Miso-katsu – tonkatsu with miso sauce in Nagoya (サカエ食堂)
- Omu-rice at Taimeiken (たいめいけん) in Nihonbashi, Tokyo
- Nikuman, Chinese steamed pork bun at Gojyuban (五十番) in Kagurazaka, Tokyo
- Cha-han at Kaseiro (華正楼) in Kamakura
- Doria at Yoshoku-Sakurai (洋食さくらい) in Ueno, Tokyo
- Katsu-don at Katsuman (かつ 勝漫) in Kanda Tokyo – made an appearance in a Nintendo game since its close to Nintendo’s Tokyo office.
Of course, the traditional fair is also excellent:
- Oden at Konakara (こなから ), Ochanomizu, Tokyo – excellent food and excellent atmosphere. Photo at top.
- Soba at Namiku-Yabu (並木藪蕎麦) at Asakusa, Tokyo in front of the Kaminari Gate.
- Udon at Nezu, Tokyo
- Taiyaki (azuki bean cake) store in Nezu (根津のたいやき) was closed
- Tempura at Kyourakutei (蕎楽亭), Kagurazaka, Tokyo