Remembering Matsushima

Matsushima Bay is a beautiful coastal area near Sendai and a popular tourist destination. We visited there almost 3 years ago. Higashi-Matsushima City (East Matsushima) was hit by a 10 meter tsunami. Higashi-Matsushima is east of the bay and unprotected. The bay is better protected and may have been spared, but have not found any info about it. A picture from on our visit to Matsushima almost 3 years ago.

Update: NHK reported that 300 people had safely evacuated to Zuiganji Temple in Matsushima Bay (瑞巌寺).  From other non-official postings, it appears the damage to Matsushima Bay was minimal.

Matsushima, like may other coastal areas had an abundance of tsunami evacuation signs.

From the Fuji News stream of the damage to Higashi-Matsushima. The damage extended several kilometers inland, even taking a train.

Hachinohe was also hit by a 2.5 meter tsunami. We had a good sushi dinner in Hachinohe on the same trip 3 years ago. We passed through Hachinohe and Sendai on our way back from Hokkaido last month.

This entry was posted in Japan. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Remembering Matsushima

1. Charles says:

I was in Matsushima two years ago and feel heartbroken at what must have happened there.

2. Carine says:

I was to Matsushima last november and I’m also searching for news cause it was a wonderful place and I feel despair thinking that all this things have vanished…

3. Paul says:

Do you have any idea where are the evacuation areas in higashi-matsushima??? If u have any ideas please feel free to post it here…My sister is still there and we don’t have any information with regards to her status..She is an Assistant Language Teacher there. Thank you very much. God bless.

• says:

No sorry. From what I’ve read its very flat around there and that’s why the water was able to get several kilometers inland. It seems like in the other flat areas near Sendai, most evacuated to large mult-story buildings.

4. michael chau says:

I was in Matsushima. feeding the sea gulls and trying the yummy oyster last summer. Do u guys remember the monastery with lots of stone budha statues It is at least 400 m away from the shore…….It was supposed to be an evacuation area in case of a tsunami………..Now, ..there is no further info. I fail to log onto the website of the hotel in Matsushima……………God bless

5. Sugs 94 says:

I was there 2 years ago visiting my sister and family who lived in Sendai teaching English (they have since moved back). It was a beautiful area. I don’t remember any really high places. I do remember the monastery…lots of trees, stone buddahs and some caves. Paul, I pray your sister is safe and will be able to contact you soon.

6. Mike Livingstone says:

I was in Matsushima exactly a year ago and remember all the great seafood restaurants on the front, and stayed in the Century Hotel.
    Such a beautiful place, and I am really sad as I know how badly hit it was.

7. Anonymous says:

Matsushima after the tsunami / 松島 津波の後

Hi, according to this website it was hit pretty hard.

8. Jon says:

I lived in Hachinohe for 8 months last year and I can hardly believe my eyes. So sad to see….

9. Beth says:

I was here with several other American journalists, as the guests of Sony, seven years ago. It is one of the most beautiful, serene places I have ever been to, and I travel a lot. My heart aches for all those across Japan who have died and are suffering as a result of the quake and tsunami.

Haiku poet Basho said it best, expressing the pathos of beautiful mortality that defines our fragile world:

Matsushima, ya
    ah, Matsushima, ya
    Matsushima, ya

10. Bob says:

High resolution detail photo of post-tsunami Matsushima. Docks, boats everything looks good. lawns look muddy. buildings including zuiganji are in good shape. Even the dockside shops look good. The peninsula and islands must have protected it.
    Also see the low flying video of a damaged ship with oil slick in post-tusnami matsushima bay. Oil minimal, the islands look fine – even the small ones. These things are really great to see!

11. Pingback: Sisma Giappone: il tempio zen Zuiganji « BuddhismoLoto